The competitive content creation market is so hot these days; Businesses are looking to attract more customers, and one of the most cost-effective ways to achieve this goal is to work on website content. The starting point of all digital marketing campaigns is using keyword research services. The purpose of keyword research with the help of keyword research tools is to show topics that the audiences are looking for and guide us to meet their needs in the best way.
In the article “An Ultimate Guide to SEO (Search Engine Optimization),” we introduce keyword research. Continuing this article on the smart strategy blog, we will tell you the answers to these keyword research services:
- what the keyword is?
- Why is it essential?
- What are the right keyword research tools?
So, if you want your content to be among the first search results, follow the continuity of keyword research guidance.
What is the keyword?
Everything you search in search engines contains keywords. For example, suppose you want to design a website but need to learn how to develop it. The easiest and fastest way is to search. You may type the word “site design” or be more specific by writing “free website design.”
A keyword in SEO refers to the words a searcher uses to find what they are looking for. These words are divided into two categories:
Short keywords (focused) are single or double words that cover a more extensive range of content.
Long tail keywords are in the form of phrases and consist of several words. These phrases express the subject in a more specific and limited way, although they have a lower search rate than short keywords. As a result, the conversion rate of Long tail keywords is higher.
What does keyword research mean?
Keyword research means analyzing and finding valuable words with the highest traffic in your industry and driving more target audiences to your website. During the keyword research process, you should develop a list of words, phrases, and questions your market audience is looking for on the Internet to answer their needs.
In this process, you should be able to provide suitable answers in all stages of the sales funnel.
What factors influence the choice of the right keywords?
One of the nightmares of content producers is using the wrong keywords. Imagine that you have spent a lot of energy and time on something that did not have a good result, and you have to go through all the steps from the beginning.
- The relevance of the keyword: it must have happened to you that while searching for a topic, you come across sites that do not match the issue you are looking for or do not contain the subject you were looking for. One of the most critical factors in choosing the right keyword is the word’s relevancy to your content. Our advice to you is not to sacrifice the coherence of your content for more visits. High site traffic is valuable when engagement is high.
- Keyword search volume: The more times a keyword is searched, the more likely it will be successful. This issue is crucial for keyword research and choosing the right keyword.
- Keyword difficulty: Keyword difficulty shows how hard or easy it is to increase the ranking of your website using this keyword. This factor is supposed to show you which words that came to your mind are better to spend time and energy on.
Be careful to distinguish keyword difficulty from search volume.
- Trend: Sometimes words are written differently, or a concept with different names or even a phrase may become a trend in specific periods. To know when it is better to use which keyword, you should check its trend. Google Trends website is a free tool to check this factor.
- Click-Through Rate (CTR): This indicator shows how successful a particular keyword has attracted clicks and shows you the average number of clicks per month or week. CTR is an important statistic because not all words attract the audience to click similarly.
Keyword research tools
There are various keyword research tools; some are free, and some require payment. In this article, we introduce you to some free tools.
Google search engine
One of the essential tools for keyword research is using Google. When you type a word, Google offers you several phrases and completes the term you are ordering with the most searched words.
Another feature that Google provides is the suggestions that it shows you at the bottom of the page under the title “searches related to.”
Google Keyword Planner
Keyword Planner is one of the most valuable tools for keyword research. To use this Google feature for free, follow the steps below.
- First, you need to create a Google Ads account. Log in to ads.google.com.
- The following page will be displayed. Click on the start now option.
- A page will open asking you to create an account or sign in to your Google account.
- After logging in to your Google account, go to Google Ads.
- Then the following page will open, asking you to create a campaign. But for free use, you can select the Switch to expert mode option shown in the image.
- In this step, select the option to create an account without a campaign.
- Then click on explore your account option.
- Your account has been activated for use. You can access Keyword Planner in the tools and setting section.
This tool is usually used to compare two keywords. Working with this tool is simple. Just type the words you want to compare and get the information you want.
Keyword Everywhere extension
This extension is installed on the Chrome browser and can be used to research keywords so that after searching for each word, this tool will show you the keywords that have already been explored. Of course, some features of this tool require payment.
This website is part of a series of free and accessible tools. After typing your desired keyword, you can refer to the related section of this site and find suitable longtail keywords.
The importance of keyword research services and their impact on SEO
The keyword is a way to communicate with virtual world users. Today, more than half of the world’s population has access to the Internet; This means that you can reach more than three billion people with this global network. The wide spread of the Internet has caused the spread of digital marketing and related techniques worldwide.
Keyword research and analysis will show you what your company is known for and where your website traffic is coming from. It is one of the essential digital marketing techniques and will never lose its importance. This importance becomes more vital when you consider that keyword research and proper selection and use of keywords will help you rank better in Google results. In addition to more site entries, you will gain more credibility with your online audience.
How to do keyword research
- Step 1: study and check all the angles
The first keyword research step is getting enough information about the business you want to create content for. Studying in this field will help you to have no boundaries for thinking and ideas, and your mind will be more flexible. For this, you can talk to your customers and ask for their opinions, try to put yourself in the place of your potential customers. You can also follow users’ views and suggestions on social networks.
- Step 2: Determine your goals
Planning always starts with defining the goal. First, it is better to determine what your brand mission is. For example, do you want to attract more audience? Or do you want to increase sales in a certain period? Or maybe you have another mission in mind. The answers to these questions will help you to determine your goal, choose the right keyword, and, as a result, consider a suitable strategy for the site’s SEO.
- Step 3: Make a list of related topics.
Don’t consider the overall business environment; Try to divide general topics into more detailed ones and spend time on each separately. For example, if you want to create content for a men’s shoe store, you can divide it into formal, casual, hiking, work, etc.
- Step 4: Prepare a list of short keywords (focused keywords)
One of the most common methods for this is brainstorming. Just ask your colleagues, department managers, or even your employer to share with you any relevant keywords that come to their minds.
- Step 5: Use the proper keyword research tool
We explained the appropriate tools for this in the previous section. Please pay attention that each tool has its method of use and operation. Use each appropriately.
- Step 6: Consider the user’s intent.
There are many reasons to search on Google (or any other search engine). Looking for new information, checking the correctness of an article, and looking for a product to buy are some examples of user intent. Therefore, to choose the right keyword, it is better to know your user’s intention.
- Step 7: Look for related longtail keywords.
As mentioned, longtail keywords are more specific, have lower search volume, and have higher conversion and success rates. Therefore, paying attention to both keywords in one content is better.
- Step 8: Don’t ignore your competitors
The importance of this matter is not hidden from anyone that our world is competitive. Therefore, to keep your site’s ranking high, you must pay attention to your competitors. Examining the content of competing sites can introduce you to words that have the potential to become keywords. Phrases whose difficulty is low, and you can easily rank them first.
Conclusion on keyword research services
Undoubtedly, keyword research is part of the professional life of marketers. From the past years until now, different methods have been presented to conduct keyword research. With the change in Google’s algorithms, these methods will change again in the following years, and new and more robust tools and more effective techniques will appear. But these changes will never lead to removing this step from the stages of digital marketing.
In this article on the smart strategy, we deep dive into different sides of keyword research, keyword research tools, and keyword research services.
Smart strategy as a leading digital marketing agency providing SEO services in Canada. Please contact us to have a free consultation with our SEO strategist and get more information about smart strategy’s keyword research services and other SEO services